Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Zeus / Zbot Malware moves Back to IRS

After a vigorous day of spamming a Fake Myspace Update Tool, the criminals behind this campaign have refocused their efforts back to the Internal Revenue Service.

This time around the spam is almost identical to that which we saw from the September 11th until October 17th. We wrote about this a couple times in articles such as IRS Version of Zeus Continues and A Weekend of Old News, both of which listed many websites previously used by the criminal.

The websites seen so far this morning by the UAB Spam Data Mine have included:

www.irs.gov.ooolnz.co.uk
www.irs.gov.ooolnz.me.uk
www.irs.gov.ooolnz.org.uk
www.irs.gov.ooolnzq.co.uk
www.irs.gov.ooolnzq.me.uk
www.irs.gov.ooolnzq.org.uk
www.irs.gov.ooolnzs.co.uk
www.irs.gov.ooolnzs.me.uk
www.irs.gov.ooolnzs.org.uk
www.irs.gov.oouask.co.uk
www.irs.gov.oouask.me.uk
www.irs.gov.oouask.org.uk
www.irs.gov.oouaso.co.uk
www.irs.gov.oouaso.me.uk
www.irs.gov.oouaso.org.uk
www.irs.gov.oouasr.co.uk
www.irs.gov.oouasr.me.uk
www.irs.gov.oouasr.org.uk
www.irs.gov.oouasv.co.uk
www.irs.gov.oouasv.me.uk
www.irs.gov.oouasv.org.uk
www.irs.gov.oouasz.co.uk
www.irs.gov.oouasz.me.uk
www.irs.gov.oouasz.org.uk
www.irs.gov.ssveef.co.uk
www.irs.gov.ssveef.me.uk
www.irs.gov.ssveef.org.uk
www.irs.gov.ssveeh.co.uk
www.irs.gov.ssveeh.me.uk
www.irs.gov.ssveeh.org.uk
www.irs.gov.ssveem.co.uk
www.irs.gov.ssveem.me.uk


A fresh website image from this morning.

The current version of the malware is:

File size: 83160 bytes
MD5...: 7b4d6fc7369501229b4d7ca6734c228c

VirusTotal is pretty back-logged at the moment. I'll check back for a detection report later in the day and share the results here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trying a new setting. After turning on comments, I got about 20-30 comments per day that were all link spam. Sorry to require login, but the spam was too much.